South Hills ECDC – Click HERE
Squirrel Hill ECDC – Annabelle Rubinstein Early Childhood Development Center
Children grow and thrive in a program enriched with language, reading, math, science, art, music and fun. We believe that discovery and play are young children’s most important “work,” preparing them for the academic and life challenges ahead.
ECDC’s approach to early learning is inspired by the ideas and practices developed in Reggio Emilia, Italy, for the education of young children. This program— based on the principles of respect, responsibility and community through exploration and discovery in a supportive and enriching environment—resonates with the JCC mission. ECDC’s curriculum recognizes each child’s voice and strives to provide a beautiful environment, small groups for children to do their work, and access to a wide variety of learning materials.
Our Core Beliefs and Values
• Children are constructivist learners
• Early Childhood educators are professionals
• Our families are our partners
• Our environment is an inspiration for inquiry
Our Educators Make the Difference
Our talented and dedicated staff is committed to ensuring each child’s happiness, safety and growth. It is our priority to employ experienced and creative staff who meet our high standards and reflect our value of lifelong learning. Our educators work together as a team to ensure all of our children are highly engaged in the education process for our school.
Skilled JCC specialists teach aquatics, physical education, music, and Jewish and Israeli culture. ECDC is visited weekly by a counselor from Jewish Family & Children’s Service to support educators and children in the classroom environment.
ECDC is housed in a dedicated, fully secured wing of the JCC. Our Reggio-inspired spaces include:
• “Marking Time” Calendar Wall
• The Piazza welcoming space
• The Studio, an open work area
ECDC children make use of facilities in the entire JCC campus including indoor heated pools, full-size gymnasiums and the enclosed outdoor Marci Lynn Bernstein Playground.
Age Groups and Schedules
ECDC is a year-round early learning center for children ages 6 weeks to 5 years old. We offer a full time, extended day program for all of our age groups.
• Infants: Can begin as young as six weeks old
• Tots: Children who are one, turning two during the school year
• Toddlers: Children who are two, turning three during the school year
• Preschoolers: Children who are three, turning four during the school year
• Pre-Kindergarten: Children who are four, turning five during the school year
Major funding for Early Childhood programming is provided by the Pittsburgh Jewish Pre-Kindergarten Educational Improvement Foundation of the Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh.