Emma Kaufmann Camp is located along Cheat Lake in Morgantown WV. Owned and operated by the Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh, EKC is a co-ed residential camp with an emphasis on teambuilding, developing positive values, independence, premiere programming and activities. This child-centered environment includes campers ages 7-16. As a staff member at EKC, you will enjoy the opportunity for personal growth and develop friendships that will last a lifetime. Visit our website at www.emmakaufmanncamp.com.
As a staff member at EKC you will enjoy the opportunity for personal and professional growth, and develop friendships that will last a lifetime. Our staff consists of young adults and adults from all over the world including graduate students, teachers, social workers, and professionals. Working at summer camp is different than any other job in the world and can be one of the most rewarding experiences of a lifetime. Residency at Camp is required while Camp is in session.
Why work at EKC?
▪ Make a difference in lives of children
▪ Opportunity to work outdoors and in nature
▪ Network with amazing people from all around the world
▪ Dynamic staff culture with social activities in and out of camp
▪ Develop 21st century skills that employers are currently seeking such as communication, leadership, problem solving, critical thinking, collaboration, creativity and work ethic
▪ Competitive salary and EKC will pay for any certifications or re-certifications required such as Lifeguarding
▪ Housing and three meals a day are provided
▪ Have an awesome summer!
Emma Kaufmann Camp is open and accessible to everyone, regardless of age, race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or special need by welcoming individuals of all backgrounds, embracing their uniqueness and diversity under our communal tent.
1. Entering College Senior or older
2. Experience significant for position, two or more years in a leadership/supervisory position.
3. Creativity, energy and enthusiasm
4. At least three years Resident Camp Experience, two years as a counselor or specialist
5. Strong Judaic knowledge and program experience
6. Ability to accept supervision and guidance & function both independently and as part of a team
7. Ability to actively supervise staff assigned to unit/specialty area
1. Complete your job as per the guidelines set forth in the Program Procedures. Follow all rules, regulations, policies and procedures as stated in the EKC Staff Manual and Operating Procedures.
2. Alert your supervisor to any problems in your unit/area and communicate with him/her daily.
3. Actively participate in head staff training week and staff training week and follow through successfully with assignments. (Responsible for leading individual unit/specialty area meetings/programs as well as all camp meetings/programs)
4. Lead weekly meetings for staff in unit/specialty area
5. Assist administrative staff in work-related duties as needed, including, but not limited to: lost and found distribution, meal coverage, transportation and luggage duties, answering telephones)
6. Coverage responsibilities as assigned & as necessary, including special events, Super OD, after-hours OD and all-camp programming.
7. Assignments as scheduled, including 2-3 trips away from Pittsburgh for luggage and camper pick-up/drop off requirements and/or responsibilities at the JCC in Pittsburgh for luggage and camper pick up/drop off
UNIT HEAD SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for the health and safety of the camp and campers.
2. Assist Staff Engagement Director in ensuring staff are engaged, appreciated, supported and satisfied.
3. Work with Administrative head staff to train counselors in all aspects of camper care and programming.
4. Work with Camper Care Specialist to manage and address all camper needs and concerns within your unit.
5. Assist Senior Counselors and Junior Counselors with special needs and solve special problems regarding their campers, co-workers and staff. (Immediate communication with Supervisor about all specials needs and problems is a must)
6. Create unit days off, nights out and extended nights out schedules for all staff in unit.
7. Lead weekly unit meetings and training sessions during staff week.
8. Create unit scheduling on a weekly basis, communicate with Senior Counselors on each cabin’s wants and needs. Implement programming for cabin, unit and all-camp activities, and overnights.
9. Implement programs when needed, or supervise cabin staff in running of programs. Act as a program facilitator and to serve as a resource for program ideas and share skills throughout the camp. (Sikum Moments, Rainy Day Programs, First & Final Day Programs)
10. Design special programs for cabin counselor use at special program times (i.e. rain, cancellations, emergencies, etc.)
11. Work with Jewish Program Director to implement meaningful Jewish programming and Tikkun Olam experiences within unit.
12. Responsible for supervision of letter writing, lost and found collection and distribution, mail and package distribution.
13. Assist with all camp operations and programming as needed.
14. Work with program coordinators to coordinate sign-up procedure for Campers Choice, Chugim and Leagues.
15. Responsible for guiding counselors in unit to mentor and train Staff-in-Training (SIT’s) assigned to Unit. (thru evaluate process)
16. To evaluate each counselor’s performance at the end of each session, in writing on designated forms.
17. Evaluate in writing, the program, staff and procedures, making suggestions and recommendations for the future.
18. To give real-time feedback as often as possible.
While performing duties of this job the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk to hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds.
Must be able to obtain ACT 33/34 and FBI clearances, and mandated reporter training.
Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
JCC of Greater Pittsburgh
Attn: Human Resources
5738 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15217
Submit this online