Peer Engagement Internship (PEI) Application 2022-2023
Build Relationships – Connect to Jewish Life – Create Meaningful Jewish Opportunities
The Second Floor Peer Engagement Internship trains and empowers teens to help create a more connected and inclusive teen community.
The Peer Engagement Internship is a 10-month paid internship for teens through The Second Floor at the JCC. Interns serve as connectors and builders of Jewish life in Pittsburgh, utilizing their own social networks and creating relationships with Jewish students across the community. Interns attend monthly skill-building workshops and create their own teen-led programs to welcome their peers to The Second Floor space.
Interested students must be in grades 10-12 and over the age of 16 to apply. Peer Engagement Interns have the option this year to intern in the fall (September-December) , spring (January-June), or both. All Peer Engagement Interns will be paid at a rate of $8.50/hour for the 2022-2023 school year.
THIS YEAR, THE SECOND FLOOR IS EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT WE NOW OFFER 4 DIFFERENT PEER ENGAGEMENT INTERNSHIP POSITIONS!
These positions include The Second Floor Interns, J-Serve Interns, Nazun/Challah for Hunger Interns, and Wellness Interns! Brief descriptions of these positions are below but we are happy to answer any questions you might have on the roles/responsibilities!
– The Second Floor Interns: These interns will staff The Second Floor space during open hours for a minimum of one two-hour shift per week, plan programs and experiences for teens in the space after school (i.e. Friendsgiving, Wings & Trivia Night, Half Day Hangouts), and help support professional staff with any additional tasks.
– J-Serve Interns: These interns will be tasked with leading the J-Serve Teen Steering Committee, assisting professional staff on all aspects of J-Serve 2023 planning, weekly check-in meetings with professional staff, and have the option to staff The Second Floor open hours.
– Nazun/Challah for Hunger Interns: These interns will be tasked with helping plan and run monthly challah bakes/sales, assist in creating and facilitating educational pieces of the program looking at food insecurity and injustice, working with partner organizations to arrange donations, assisting professional staff on all aspects of Nazun/Challah for Hunger planning, weekly check-in meetings with professional staff, and have the option to staff The Second Floor open hours.
– Wellness Interns: These interns will create and lead initiatives for The Second Floor around mental, social, physically, and emotional wellness, create events and programs around wellness for The Second Floor, help continue to expand our mindfulness room, weekly check-in meetings with professional staff, and have the option to staff The Second Floor open hours.
All interns are expected to:
– Attend mandatory monthly meetings and trainings
– Connect their peers to opportunities that match their interests
– Identify trends and gaps in engagement opportunities
– Engage with teens in the space during working hours
– Represent the Peer Engagement Intern brand, and promote The Second Floor programming and events during and outside working hours
– Utilize staff resources to fulfill job requirements to best of their ability
– Have a fun, outgoing, and friendly attitude!