JCC Pittsburgh on September 15, 2022
Our current and recent Nutrition & Dietetics Graduate Interns share their recipes for a sweet and happy new year.
Cinnamon Apple Noodle Kugel (yield: 12-15)
- 1 pound whole grain wide noodles
- 5 large eggs, whisked
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon + more to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to bake at 350° F. Spray a 9 X 13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook noodles for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse noodles with cold water to stop cooking.
- While noodles are cooking, whisk together eggs, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, sugar, salt, and applesauce.
- Coat empty pot with oil, return noodles to pot and fold with oil and egg/applesauce mixture. Transfer noodles to prepared
baking dish and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes until the kugel is completely set and the noodles on top are slightly crispy and browned.
Apples & Honey Quinoa Salad
This salad is an easy, fun, and healthy way to enjoy apples and honey this Rosh Hashanah!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Salad:
- ¼ cup brown rice
- ¼ cup quinoa (I used a microwavable brown rice & quinoa blend)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup Feta cheese (optional)
Ingredients for Honey Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the rice and quinoa according to the package directions.
- While the rice and quinoa are cooking, make the dressing. Mix together all ingredients with a whisk in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked rice and quinoa and mix in chickpeas, arugula, diced apple, chopped walnuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Toss in dressing and serve immediately!
Tips: you can make the rice and dressing two days before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Looking for more sweet things for the new year? Bake a challah! Recipe is HERE