October 8, 2020
How they divide us and preserve unjust systems.
How can we undo them right here in Pittsburgh?
Three 90-minute Zoom Conversations for members of the community
Thursdays, October 8, 15 and 22; 7-8:30 PM
Facilitator: Jane Schuchert Walsh, PhD, Clarion University
Hosts: JCC PGH Center for Loving Kindness and Squirrel Hill Urban Coalition
- Talk about race and ethnicity by asking questions, sharing experiences, and discussing current issues openly and honestly.
- Better understand how social forces shape race and ethnic relations as well as how intergroup relations influence social institutions and the everyday experiences of individuals.
- View race and ethnic relations from a historical perspective.
- Explore how race and ethnicity has shaped individual and community life experiences.
- Identify needed areas of social change for racial and ethnic equity to become a reality.
Prior to each session we invite you to watch The PBS series Race: The Power of an Illusion. Each episode is 60 minutes long. You can find the episodes here.
Dr. Jane Walsh is an associate professor of sociology at Clarion University of Pennsylvania with expertise in sociology, race and ethnic relations.
During the suspension of regular services at the JCC of Greater Pittsburgh, AgeWell at the JCC is pleased to offer Lunch Meals to Go for participants who are already registered in our Senior Center program.* The meals are freshly made and are kosher. Meal pickups will be drive-through only: 11 am and 1 pm Mondays and Wednesdays...
Please Help Sustain Our Important Work To date, the JCC Gave out 4,800+ Grab & Go Meals to seniors Made 2,200+ Telephone Wellness Checks to isolated seniors Hosted 340+ Blood Donations at JCC facilities Provided 120 per week LIVE and recorded programs and activities on #JCCPGHVirtual For us to continue supporting your community and providing...
Special “9-for-6” offer for new and returning clients Up your fitness with an expert personal trainer, who will motivate and innovate to help you reach your goals. You can choose to work with a trainer: In person in dedicated, safe and clean spaces at the JCCs in Squirrel Hill and South Hills Online from your home...
Lunch and Learn with Rabbi Ron Symons – Tuesdays, 12:15-12:45 pm Join with Rabbi Ron Symons in discussion around the most important issues of our day. More than a current events class, these gatherings afford us the opportunity to ground our perspectives in values that humans have been holding dear for thousands of years and...