JCC Pittsburgh on June 18, 2015
The ins and outs of Better Breathing
Try this relaxation exercise from breathing guru Andrew Weil, MD. The payoff? Blessed relief from constant thinking.
- Sit with your back straight
- Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge just behind your front teeth.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whooshing sound.
- Inhale quietly through your nose with your mouth closed to a count of 4. Hold you breath for a count of 7.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, this time whooshing to a count of 8.
- Inhale again and repeat the exercise 3 times for a total of 4 breaths.
If you have trouble holding your breath, speed up but stick to the 4-7-8-count. Practice twice a day, but don’t do more than 4 breaths at a time for the first month; later you can work up to 8 breaths. You may feel a little light-headed, but it will pass.