Patti Sciulli, Group Exercise/Wellness Director on November 17, 2017
Though most Americans are likely to gain 3 to 7 pounds during the Holiday season, with some careful planning this does not have to be your story. By implementing a few simple tips you can stay healthy through the Holiday season without gaining weight.
- Plan time for exercise. Exercise helps relieve holiday stress and prevent weight gain. A moderate and daily increase in exercise can help offset increased holiday eating.
- Don’t skip meals. Before leaving for a party, eat a light snack like raw vegetables or a piece of fruit to curb your appetite. You will be less likely to over indulge.
- Be careful with beverages. Alcohol can lessen inhibitions and induce overeating; non-alcoholic beverages can be full of calories and sugar.
- Bring your own healthy dish to a holiday gathering.
- Don’t make eating a race. Pay attention to how quickly you eat and exactly what you eat and drink. Choose your food carefully and enjoy how it tastes. Eat only the foods you truly enjoy.
- The holiday season is only a few days. Not weeks, not months, but days. Enjoy yourself on those days, but get back into your routine of exercise and healthy eating on all the other days.
Enjoy the holidays, plan a time for activity, incorporate healthy recipes into your holiday meals, and don’t restrict yourself from enjoying the holiday.
How much exercise does it take to burn off the Thanksgiving Day feast?
- Green bean casserole – (1/2 cup) 70 calories – 14 min. dancing
- Mashed Potatoes – (1/2/cup) 120 calories – 35 min. weight training
- Turkey breast – (5 oz.) 195 calories – 50 min. ice skating
- Stuffing – (1/2 Cup) 180 calories – 10 min. of stair climbing
- Gravy – (1/4 cup) – 45 calories – 50 Burpees ( YES 50!)
- Cranberry sauce – (1/4 cup) – 37 calories – 3 sets of 20 push-ups
- Buttered Roll – Small – 210 calories – 20 min. Flag Football
- Apple Pie – (1 slice) 411 calories – 35 min. 5K Turkey Trot
- Pumpkin Pie – (1 slice) – 316 calories- 60 min. yoga
Do you have a question? Fill out the Contact Form below and we’ll get right back to you.