Tara Garfield on September 15, 2020
Apples & Honey Quinoa Salad
This salad is an easy, fun, and healthy way to enjoy apples and honey this Rosh Hashanah!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Ingredients for Salad:
- ¼ cup brown rice
- ¼ cup quinoa (I used a microwavable brown rice & quinoa blend)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 granny smith apple, diced
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup Feta cheese (optional)
Ingredients for Honey Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the rice and quinoa according to the package directions.
- While the rice and quinoa are cooking, make the dressing. Mix together all ingredients with a whisk in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked rice and quinoa and mix in chickpeas, arugula, diced apple, chopped walnuts and pomegranate seeds.
- Toss in dressing and serve immediately!
Tips: you can make the rice and dressing two days before serving. Keep refrigerated.
Tara Garfield is a graduate student in the Dietitian Nutritionist Program at the University of Pittsburgh. She is currently a dietetic intern at the JCC and UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside.